Friday, 22 January 2016

Five On Friday

Hello!  Friday has rolled around again and this is the day for us all to share our five's.  Five things or just taking Five to talk about one thing.

Thank you all so very much for all of your posts over the last two weeks!!!  The number of people taking part seems to have increased incredibly and that is so wonderful.  I really enjoy reading your posts and seeing what you have had to share.  Really, it means so much to me.  Thank you!

Thank you too to all of those of you who go and visit others posts - Mama's Mercantile I am looking at you especially! -  I know that it makes such a difference to those taking part to receive your comments and visits.

Today I am taking Five for a bit of a catch up with you.

It has been three weeks since I started my challenges to myself for the new year.  Some have gone well and some, well, not so much!!  I thought that I would update you on how things are going.

First off the not so good.  I wrote for 30 minutes on the first day that I started doing this, and since then.  Well, nothing!  Nada.  Not a thing.  I have of course written lots of words, but nothing towards my goal.  The first days writing was just a stream of consciousness which was more unconscious than anything else and would certainly bore even the most lively and lovely person to bits.

So I need to rethink that one.  It is something that I still plan to do, but as you will hear in a minute other things have been on my mind so this is one to come back to.

The walking has gone well.  Really well in fact.  With one exception I have walked for at least 30 minutes every week day since the start of the year.  I even managed to exceed the magic 10,000 steps one day - just the one day!!  According to my fitbit I have taken 256% more steps, burned 14% more calories and been 1,260% more active in the last 28 days.  Which is pretty impressive in some ways, but in others shows how bad I was doing before.  I am choosing though to look at the good side of this, which is that I am doing better!  So I just need to make sure that the numbers keep going up.

I am really enjoying the walks, listening to my music, or I have discovered that I can listen to the radio on my phone too - which is another thing that anyone else would know but I have only just discovered - and so that is another good thing for me too.

The biggest change though has been in my employment status - which is backdated to the start of the year, but only actually happened this week.  I am shocked and stunned and will write more when I am ready to make a big announcement, but it is a good thing that I am very excited about and very nervous about too.  Terrified actually!!!  But if you don't try something you definitely won't know what will happen do you.

I am now self employed - eek!!!  This is a massive change for me.  I haven't had a paid job for a long long time now for lots of reasons and although this is only going to be a very small thing I hope that it will be a little start and a progression in my life.

Not much will change as far as my blog, or the rest of my life, I will still continue at Basildon Park and will still be writing here - although it might be a little less for the next few weeks while I get all set up - Five On Friday will also continue, there will just be another string to my bow.  Oh, and don't worry, still no advertising here!

Reading has fallen by the wayside as I have been so tired by the end of the day that all I can do is prop my eyes open for long enough to find my way to bed, but that isn't a bad thing either is it.  I know that I will pick it back up again.

In the meantime my desk and office look like a bomb has hit it.  There is paper everywhere so I better get back to it and get sorting things out and doing some work.  If I don't produce anything I don't have a business right!


That is my five minutes for this week.  More to come as and when.

I hope that all is well with all of you and that you have had a good week and will have a good weekend ahead too.

Please feel free to join in with Five On Friday, there are more details below.  Please also go and visit some other people taking part if you can as I know they enjoy and appreciate your visits a great deal, as do I.

Happy Weekend and Hugs to you all!!!

Amy
********************

Thank you - as always! - for joining in and for going to read others posts.



If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information about how to join in the All About Five On Friday page will tell you all that you need to know.

********************

54 comments:

  1. Good idea to focus on the positives. Wishing you all good things for your new endeavour. Have a great weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The employment sounds exciting Amy, I'm really pleased for you. Well done on the walking as well. I've been walking more lately, not masses, but just small regular amounts. Every little helps right? With the writing, have you heard of Morning Pages? Just a stream of consciousness-style piece of writing done first thing every morning. It's hard to find the time, but apparently writing anything at all is helpful. Sorry I haven't been around here as much lately, my time is being squeezed a bit at the moment. It's lovely to catch up though! I hope you have a good weekend Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck and congratulations Amy. Exciting times ahead x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news, Amy! Good luck to your new career!
    I hope you will find time for walking. Getting regularly outside in the fresh air makes life so much better.
    Thank you for hosting and have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best Amy - good for you for giving it a go!
    Thank you for hosting today - just let us know if you get too busy in the next few weeks = we will all be back!
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the employment Amy - it all sounds exciting xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your news sounds really exciting, can't wait to hear more. Keep going with your walking it's the best excercise ever. I'm glad Five on Friday will continue, it's such a good way to make new friends and share ideas..Have a great week. Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Amy! That's exciting! Although I'm retired I often miss the stimulation of my former working life. It's wonderful that you have this new opportunity and focus. Thank you for hosting Five on Friday and I'm glad it's continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Amy, it all sounds very exciting yet mysterious! Ha ha no doubt we'll hear more soon. Great news about the exercise, brilliant. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like exciting things will be happening for you Amy, good luck with everything. Do you find when you are walking you think of things to write? I find that sometimes ideas for a story or words for a poem come into my head. Of course by the time I get home I've forgotten them:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exciting news about your employment status I am sure all will be revealed when you are ready. Thank you for mentioning me, it is so nice to be appreciated. I will say that almost everyone always pops here too so it has become quite a nice catch up on a Friday. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting - can't wait to hear more about your self employment. Well done on the walking too - it's difficult to find the time (or the inclination when the weather is foul!)to get out there and exercise. I keep toying with the idea of a dog, as then I would have to, but I'm not sure that Hamish would approve! Have a happy weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to hear all about it, but also look after yourself too. I should be doing way more walking too, so maybe I should get some sort of device (and a dog). Have a good weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on going self-employed - it sounds exciting and looking forward to hearing more when you are ready. And well done on the walking, although it did make me smile when you said it showed how bad you were doing before - but it sounds positive to me. Have a fab weekend and thanks for hosting x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this sounds exciting. Congratulations on going into business; I look forward to hearing more about it. So glad you will continue at Basildon too. Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely dwell on the positives! Life is negative enough - or it can be - so dwelling in the positives is the positive way to go. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow exciting news, can't wait to hear more. Glad you are keeping well and love the Five on Fridays as always. Look forward to your next post as alwaysx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wishing you so much luck for your step into the unknown. You are so brave, I would love to work for myself and give up the rat race! Have a wonderful weekend Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Amy. I'm joining for the first time today. Looking forward to visiting the others and finding out what they are sharing.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy, my encouragement to keep writing has been my critique group of women who tell me what they like and don't like when I write something. We have a leader who sends out places looking for people to write for them, magazines and publications, so that encourages me to think a bit outside the box. If one doesn't exist, maybe you could start one with others who like to write. Have a special weekend, and thanks for the meme.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck with your new business Amy! X

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done on the walking. And something new on the job front for you, hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Amy! I love your honesty. It's hard to complete all of the goals we set for ourselves. I'm happy for you and your new job opportunity and will be looking forward to hearing more about it.
    BE a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, well done for taking that big step into self employment and I look forward to hearing more about your new venture. Well done, too, on all the walking.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Best of luck with the new job and boss! She seems like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Someone else mentioned morning pages, a concept popularized by Julia Cameron in her book The Artist's Way (I think). Stream of conscious writing is just to warm up the brain and not really be for re-reading.
    The new job sounds intriguing - looking forward to hearing more. I see what looks like crochet instructions on your computer screen up there - also intriguing.
    Congrats on all the walking. It feels good to be active, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Keep up the walking, it's so good for you. Try writing just a sentence a day, that's less threatening. Good luck with your self-employment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very interesting post filled with some good info and some exciting (if scary) news! Loved getting caught up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for making this link-up possible - I'm here for the first time, and looking forward to reading about what others have been up to.
    Good luck with your newest endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice post Amy and congrats for the news !!
    A big hug! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good luck with the self employment
    Clatre x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh how very exciting!!! That is fab news about self employment - I wish you the very best of luck with it. The walker sounds great too. Thank you for hosting and have a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good luck in your new enterprise. What an exciting way to start off the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well done on the walking, that's brilliant. I look forward to hearing more on your plans, sounds exciting! Have a super weekend, Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. You sound so busy Amy and I think you are doing great with your walking, I have toyed with getting something like the fitbit but there are so many to choose from and they aren't I will need to do a bit of research because once I'm feeling better there will be no stopping me. I love to put really loud music on when I'm on my treadmill great fun! good luck with your self employment I can't wait to hear more about it. Have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your new endeavor sounds very exciting. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I took this step last year as well. It's terrifying and amazingly liberating, and hard work, and the best thing I ever did. Huge love and hugs to you, can't wait to see what you produce next! <3

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for hosting Amy.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  39. How wonderful Amy!! Sounds like big changes in 2016! Not only with your health (great job by the way!!) but also with new endeavors. So exciting and can't wait to hear more!

    Thanks for hosting and hope you have a lovely weekend my dear Friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  40. So exciting, Amy, your enthusiasm just jumps off the screen here! You are doing well by keeping up with your walking for your health and that is the most important, I think - we can't always keep up with all that we dream about, but you are giving it a good go and so are very inspiring. Looking forward to the big reveal! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you for your kind comments on my post! Just wanted to let you know I appreciated everything you said, and you are so right. Hope you enjoy working at home!

    ReplyDelete
  42. How exciting! I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just been catching up with your posts from this past week.
    Many congrats on your new employment status, good luck with all there and looking forward to hearing more.
    I was sent a copy of LK book as well when we did the card swap. She was very quick off the mark when our partners were announced and before I knew it there was card and book through my door!
    I love your pumpkin in the garden and those shots of all the frosty made me feel very chilly indeed - glad to be indoors with a cup of teas as I was reading.
    Have a good weekend and good luck with the continued sorting I'm sure the charity shops are grateful!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  44. I do love your Five on Friday link up. Don't seem to have managed to join you recently but do read your posts. Good luck with your new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello, I'm Jill ( Kiln Fired Art) I've made my first Five on Friday post. I'm looking forward to joining in as I love blogging , and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

    ReplyDelete
  46. wonderfully exciting Amy, and well done with the walking x

    ReplyDelete
  47. It does sound exciting, and I look forward to hearing more! A lovely positive post. Thank you too for your very kind comments recently, Amy x
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  48. Exciting news, Amy! Best of luck in your new project.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  49. It sounds like an exciting time for you, I look forward to hearing more about it. Well done on the walking, I've finally got my act together and ordered a fitbit, I'm sure Archie will be pleased to hear that he'll get taken on longer walks, though actually I'm not so sure, he's such a lazy dog.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Excited to hear your news! so many positives already this year. Well done on keeping up the walking too. x

    ReplyDelete
  51. Congratulations on the new job... And I can definitely recommend the virtues of a tidy desk. Looking forward to reading more about your work.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  52. wow! congrats on the self employment, I hope you share more soon-I can imagine being excited and scared at the same time. Change is difficult for me. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Self-employed? Hmm, sounds interesting! Can't wait to hear what you're up to. I thought your job at the Park was a paid position. Didn't realize it was volunteer work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Congratulations on the job front Amy and wow 39 bloggers taking part this week. It is great to see the numbers increasing. I am really missing joining in on Five on Friday. I bet it isn't long before I am back. Joan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx